March 28, 2013

Checked that one off the list


I have this running list in my head called "things I want to do before I die".
I think almost every one does, right?

This past weekend, I got to check one of those things off of my list.
And thankfully, it was just as amazing as I imagined it would be.
Was it ever.

I got to see Sigur Ros in concert.
Live.
In person.
Playing right there in front of me.


I was dead center.
Staring straight at Jonsi.
On the isle (my personal favorite.  claustrophobic.)
Not standing on the floor swallowed by 400 other people that are 4 ft. taller than me.
High enough that I could get the full experience of the screens, lights, etc.
It...was...fantastic.



Now, I totally understand that Sigur Ros isn't for everyone.
Their sound is very different.
They sing in Icelandic.
But for me, I think they are one of the most creative bands in the business.
They love film and incorporating it with their music.
Their music is like a work of art that you listen to.

Their live show was an explosion of creativity.
One of the biggest reasons I went was that I knew that it had the potential to be incredibly inspiring.
I think they actually sounded better live, which hardly ever happens.
In fact, Jonsi (whose voice I personally really love) sounds even more amazing when he's standing there in front of you.
It is other worldly, that voice of his.

Seeing all the songs played live with 3 girls playing violins and 3 girls playing trumpet, trombone and French Horn, plus the guitars and drums and cymbals and Jonsi playing his guitar with a bow.
Add in all the video that they use as a backdrop and the lights.
Tons of small bulb lamps all over the stage lighting up in time to the music.
It was a wonder.

My favorite moment was the song Fljótavík.  
I had chills and tears welling up in my eyes. 
It was so beautiful. 
Achingly beautiful, really.

I also loved their new song Brennisteinn.
It's a great concert song.
Rock and big and loud.






Words don't ever seem to express correctly what you feel when you are inspired.
They don't accurately convey the emotions you experience.
When you experience something that connects with you,
whether it's a perfect sunset or a painting or photograph you can't take your eyes off of,
it's an emotion that goes beyond words.
I think for creative people, we are always on the lookout for things like that.
Things that make us feel alive.

This was one of those moments for me.
Just sat back and enjoyed every second.
And wished that it could go on and on and on.

Fljótavík by Sigur Rós on Grooveshark

***Thank you, brother dearest, for showing me the wonder of Sigur Ros all those years ago.
***I've posted about Sigur Ros a few other times too.  1//2//3


No comments: