December 18, 2012

Runner


Still running.

Can't even believe it myself.

I feel like I started to slowly turn the corner with my whole attitude towards it.  I don't do it as much as I should.  Only a few times a week (or once a week, if I can't nip that laziness in the bud). But when I do actually do it, I don't feel sick or like I'm dying every second.  The winter weather may be the blessing in disguise for that.  Whatever the case, I'm thankful for the change. 

I started running back in the spring of this year.  After many failed attempts in years past, this time it stuck.  Maybe it was turning 35.  Maybe it was having goals to look forward to.  Maybe it was having a plan in place rather than just winging it.  Maybe it was me praying "Lord, help me get the better of my laziness." Probably a combination of all those things. Whatever it was, it's working.

I must tell you that I'm not an athletic person.  I was blessed with family genes that have given me a small, slender frame for my entire life.  I didn't have to exercise to be skinny.  I wasn't good any any sports, so I just didn't really participate other than some volleyball in high school. I was much more content to sit in my room and read, craft or write.  A dangerous habit, if you want to live a healthy life.

Reaching middle age (really?!) I realized that if I want to be healthy, I have to do something about it.  I have to be the one to get off the couch and do something.  I have to be the one to gain control over my laziness and go outside in the mornings.  So I did.  I choose to run.  I choose to have those tough  mornings when I just want to walk and not run so badly.  I choose to push myself to go further when I don't want to.

So for those of you that just don't want to.  You hate running. You don't have time.  You can't run to your mailbox to get the mail, not to mention 1 whole mile.  For all of you, let me say that is is possible.  You CAN do it.  You can train yourself.  You can run 1, 2 or even 3 miles.  Just put on those running shoes and do it.  Stop making excuses.  Stop waiting until next year.  And then keep up with your goal.  Refuse to let your laziness win.  Refuse to keep giving up and starting over.

You may not love running.  I don't.  But I do love the energy I get from doing it.  I do love finishing a run and knowing I "ran".  It's a mental game.  It is.  The physical stuff is much, MUCH easier than the mental game.  It's exciting to gain control over that crazy mental block.  It's exciting to feel the wind in your face and push yourself.  And all those comfy running clothes aren't too shabby either!


****ps..I still would much rather swim than run.  It's just that the pool is so expensive and my favorite one to swim in is 45 minutes away, by my parents house.  Thankfully, the holidays mean that I'll be able to jump in a few times while I'm visiting them. 

No comments: