January 25, 2013

Love adventure


I've been reading like crazy lately.
Had to talk about this one...

I read Love Does before Christmas, but forgot to post about it.
It was a perfect book for me to read at the end of the year.
Right before it was time to start a brand new year.
I also love when you read a book at the exact right time.

By that I mean this...
There are times when I pick up a book, and it's good, but it just doesn't hit me at the right time.  I will usually end up abandoning it before I finish reading the whole thing.
Then there are times when it's like the author is speaking what has been resonating in my soul, but I didn't have the words to articulate it.  I feel at one with the intentions and direction they are taking me.  It's like whispers from the Lord.  Gives me chills.

Anyway, Love Does is a fantastic book.  I read it just 3 short days, which is incredible for me because I read very little non-fiction.  I have a hard time reading non-fiction and sticking with it to the end of the book.
Goff's style is very similar to Donald Miller (who just so happens to write the forward and is a friend of the author).  Easy going, simple statements packed with truth.

I knew I was going to love it the moment I read the first sentence...



"I do all of my best thinking on Tom Sawyer Island at Disneyland."

It is a book full of adventure.  Full of love.  Full of doing instead of just thinking about it.  It's a book about loving like Jesus did and letting Him lead us where He needs us.  It's about letting go of our own little plans and ideas and being open to what He has.

Truthfully, it was a breath of fresh air to my soul.  I needed it.  I craved those words.  It was like God whispering to my heart the entire time.

Give it a try.  I bet you will love it too.

*Bob Goff (@bobgoff) on Twitter is one of my favorites.  His words always prompt me to reflect.




No comments: