January 11, 2013

Read this one


I finished The Age of Miracles last night.

It had one of the most original ideas I've read in a long time.

It reminded me so much of Another Earth in its tone and the feel of it.

The story is about a girl who lives in a time when the Earth begins to slow.  The days become longer and life changes in a thousand different ways because of this.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about the whole concept of "the slowing" as it was called in the book. I won't go into too much detail because that was such an interesting part of the book.  Finding out what changed when the Earth's rotation began to slow.

As for the story itself, well, I wasn't sure how to describe it.  I went to get a link to write this post and I saw that someone had reviewed in on Amazon and called it "hollow".  Yes, that's the word that I would use.

First of all, this should have been a young adult novel, yet it is found in the regular fiction section.  The story centers around an 11 year old girl (she always seemed a bit older to me).  It is told in her voice.

Second, while the whole concept is incredibly interesting and creates the desire to continually turn the page to find out what happens, the actual story is very shallow.  The ending was just strange.  Hollow.  So much on the outside and yet, not much substance when you look a little deeper.

Third, the title seems out of place to me.  A little deceiving.  

However, I did enjoy it.  It did keep me turning the pages and wanting to know what happened.  There are ideas in it that will stick with me for a long, long time.  Definitely worth checking out if you enjoy a good sci fi twist in your story.  

No comments: