February 05, 2013

the year-long goal



One of my new goals for 2013 is to read the Bible through in a year.  I've done it before, but I think the last time was in college.  Senior year of college.  That's a long time ago now. Ah-hem....

As 2012 was ending, I was praying about my goals for the year.  Then I read this article when it popped up in my Twitter feed.  (ps...Mark Driscoll's feed is so encouraging, challenging and inspiring to me on a daily basis)  Kinda humbling to know that a high schooler has a more in-depth reading plan that I do.  Shameful.

Anyway, I really felt like the Lord was impressing upon me to read the entire Bible again this year.  Usually I just focus on a book at a time and re-read it over and over until the Lord tells me to move on to another one.  I still love this way of being in the Word, but excited for a challenge too.  Last year taught me that having goals, goals that specifically challenge me, are really good for my OCD nature.  This was exactly what I needed.

Instead of using a piece of paper in my Bible that I check off with a pen each day (so antiquated!), I am using the ESV Study Bible Plan on my iPhone. (There is also a PDF version.)  I love, love, love the convenience of having in my hand all day.  My schedule (which is turning in to a wonderful habit now that I'm 35 days into this plan) is to read half in the morning and half in the evening.  Usually, I read the morning half while I'm still in bed.  Just woken up. I love having scripture the first thing I focus on in the morning.  And I've always done my quiet time at night.  Started this in high school and it just stuck.

Now, sometimes, this perfect schedule doesn't work, so I will read during the day when I have a chance.  Bonus of having it on my iPhone.  At the DMV, waiting in line.  On a break from work.  Out at a coffee shop or the library.  The whole point is that I want it be a habit.  I want it to feel "off" when I don't do it every day.  I'm one of those people that does well with self-inflicted goals.  But I need to goal to motivate me.

This isn't the only way I'm reading the Word.  I'm still involved in Bible studies and other areas that have me focusing on specific passages of scripture.  But this is my personal challenge and one that I am loving.  More Bible in my day?  That certainly can't be bad thing!

What is your Bible reading plan?
Are you following one, or discouraged in your quiet time right now?
Let me encourage you that I have been there!
Jump in a find a plan that works for you.
Be in the Word.
It's important.
It should be every day.
And it will be life changing!


No comments: