September 08, 2006

Matanuska glacier, AK

The last of the Alaska pictures. Had to finish posting these before I leave for my next trip!

Matanuska glacier was a beautiful glacier. It was the only place in Alaska that I saw a bit, and I do mean a small bit, of sunshine. You can actually drive up to this glacier and walk across the rock debris it leaves behind to stand on the blue ice. Really amazing!
The rocky mess it leaves behind as it recedes.

Don't we look like a happy bunch!
Just love the color blue in the ice. Yes, this is ice and rocks are frozen in it.
As it melted (and continues to), the rocks formed this perfect line.
See the sun on the mountains! I was practically jumping up and down with delight in seeing the sun. I don't know how they do it in the winter there! It's dark almost all the time!
Thanks for the amazing visit Stephanie, Jack and Luke. I had the best time!! Thanks for sharing your wilderness with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are MOST welcome! THANK you for all your help and kindness and for visiting!!!!!!! it was awesome! i can't wait to see you again! :)