June 25, 2010

a shade from the heat


Remember that time I used to post on my blog?

Me, neither.

I could drone on and on about how busy it has been here, but I guess you already knew that from my absence. Didn't you?

It's island week here, which means I've spent about 5,000 hours in the sun, on the boats, in the sand, lathered in 5 layers of sunscreen, sweat and dirt.

Oh, and let's not forget that it was about 103 degrees with the heat index yesterday. No, I'm not joking. It literally feels like my skin is baking in the oven.

God has been teaching me much. It's been yet another week of tough times. Things breaking. Being exhausted. But you know what? I'm learning so much in it all. How selfish I can be. How great and amazing God really is. How He picks me up when I'm completely done, completely empty, completely finished and reminds me that He loves me and is everything I need.

I've been reading and re-reading the book of Isaiah quite a bit lately. We were studying it in my small group this past spring, and it has been water to my soul during the past 2 months. I loved this verse I read last night. It was perfect for the end of a particularly long, HOT day...

"For you have been a stronghold to the poor, as stronghold to the needy in his distress, as shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat..."
-Isaiah 25:4

Gotta run. Back to the river. Kids awaiting their time in the water. The fun never ends here!


1 comment:

Diana said...

BSF is doing Isaiah in the fall if you're interested. It will be so good.