November 16, 2009

i like this CD


Be forewarned.....I was feeling very wordy when I wrote this. Skip to the bottom to hear the CD if you don't want to read my ramblings. Don't say I didn't warn you...

I'm terrible with music. It isn't really my "thing." I don't discover bands. I have no idea what is new or really cool. I have a small handful of bands/artist I like and tend to stick with them and that's about it. I don't listen to the radio mostly because I can't stand what they play. (don't get me started on the Christian radio stations around here....let's just say the world horrible comes to mind).

So this is where I stand when I suggest music to you. I have weird taste. I like instrumental soundtracks more than anything. But sometimes...sometimes I WANT to listen to some good music, but I have no idea where to start. I've gotten great suggestions from Zach Braff on more than one occasion (Joshua Radin, Cary Brothers, Garden State Soundtrack). I've found good stuff from blogs I read. But the one place I always go when I need something new is The Bro.

He is just good with that type of thing. Now, let me state this...he likes certain types of music that I hate. Hard core metal. Screaming non-sense that I can only stand for about 30 seconds before wanting to pop my own eardrums. So we definitely don't always mesh on certain things.

However, he has given me more things to love than anyone else. He discovers all those cool bands and then tells me about them. About a year ago, he gave me a huge list of bands and some CD's to try. Bands he thought I would like. I'm still going through that list.

On my flights to Seattle last month, I had still had a few bands on my Zune that I hadn't tried. I decided to give Future of Forestry a spin. It's been playing pretty consistently since then. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I even want to get their new stuff.

Twilight, the CD I have, is a few years old, but it's good stuff. And wouldn't you know it, it's Christian, too. Haven't heard a good Christian band in quite a while.

So once again, I'm forced to concede that my little brother is cooler than I am.


Here's a taste of the goods

No comments: