November 16, 2010

Storytime

Tonight, I spent a happy hour sitting on the floor of the children's section of the black hole. You see, on Thursday I am a guest reader in a second grade class at a local private school. Gotta admit that I was giddy excited to be asked. I'm a nerd when it comes to reading to children. I adore it. And classic children's books are my very favorite. When one of the teachers asked me to read, I instantly exclaimed "yes!" I immediately began debating which of my favorites to read to the kids.

I think I've decided to read The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton. It was one of my personal favorites when I was a kid. I still think of this story when I see a tiny house in the middle of an urban setting.

As I was reading the book, I couldn't help but remember this cartoon from Disney. It is a loose adaptation of the story.



Watching this makes me feel like I just got home from a long day at school. I would sit on the couch from 4:30-5:00 and watch old Disney cartoons to unwind. Such fun memories....

What children's stories did you love? Make Way For Ducklings? Madeline? Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs?


1 comment:

stephanie said...

the little house is a personal fave of Luke's. It always makes me sad when I read it. I actually get choked up a little. He likes to check out the Virginia Burton Treasury from the library whenever he sees it there. He likes all the stories...Mike Muligan and the Steam Shovel, the Little House and Katy the Snowplow.

I like so many children's books I could never name them all. Harry the Dirty Dog was a favorite. I bought that book for my kids before I ever even had them.

Another one I've read to both boys and get choked up over is Mars Needs Moms! by Berkley Breathed. He (or she?) has also written another tear jerker called Pete and Pickles but I think it's message is a little above the average little boys head. It's about sacrificial love and will make you cry....