October 12, 2006

Wisdom from Oswald

As I have posted before, I love, love, love Oswald Chambers' My Upmost for His Highest. It is humbling and thought provoking. If you have never read it, DO it! Here is the entry I read last night while doing my devo's. I had to read it twice and still feel like I should really read it again to fully wrap my brain around it. I know it's only a human's response to the Bible, but wow!

"We do not grow into a spiritual relationship step by step-we either have a relationship or we do not. God does not continue to cleanse us more and more from sin-'But if we walk in the light,' we are cleansed 'from all sin' (1 John 1:7). It is a matter of obedience, and once we obey, the relationship is instantly perfected. But if we turn away from obedience for even one second, darkness and death are immediately at work again.
All of God's revealed truths are sealed until they are opened to us through obedience. You will never open them through philosphy or thinking. But once you obey, a flash of light comes immediately. Let God's truth work into you by immersing youself in it, not by worrying into it. The only way you can get to know the truth of God is to stop trying to find out and by being born again. If you obey God in the first thing He shows you, then He instantly opens up the next truth to you. You could read volumes on the work of the Holy Spirit, when five minutes of total, uncompromising obedience would make things as clear as sunlight. Don't say, "I suppose I will understand these things someday!' You can understand them now. And it is not study that brings understanding to you, but obedience. Even the smallest bit of obedience opens heaven, and the deepest truths of God immediately become yours. Yet God will never reveal more truth about Himself to you, until you have obeyed what you know already. Beware of becoming one of the 'wise and prudent.' 'If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know....' (John 7:17)."

It's amazing....I was blessed in the fact that I came to know Christ at a very young age. To the outside world, it would seem that being saved over 20 years should make me an expert. Yeah, right! How humbling to realize that I am just getting started to understanding God. His wisdom is something that I still can't explain or even judge myself against. It leaves me speechless and small and insignificant and there is no other place in life that I would rather be.....
[View Guestbook][Sign Guestbook]

No comments: