February 09, 2009

Goodbye, sweet wall

It has been absolutely amazingly gorgeous here. Like over 60 degrees yesterday. I almost ran outside after church just to soak up as much of the perfect weather as I could.

In fact, I pulled out my Holga and took an entire roll (12 exposures) in about 30 minutes. It's kinda fun to go back to film. I have no idea how these will turn out until the roll comes back (as soon as I can find a place to develop 120 film).



After my picture taking was over, I ended up here. My favorite place on the entire planet.


I've sat/laid/just been on this wall for hours upon hours of my life. My first summer at camp, I would sit here almost every night just enjoying the cooler air and watching the sailboats go by.

Tragic news....it is getting torn out this spring. Gone. No more. "The wall" as we call it was built in the 50's. It is in dis-repair. It's not doing such a great job of stopping erosion at the moment. A new structure is being built, but it won't be a wall. It will look more like this....



....a giant rock pile wall. Much more effective, but not quite as charming nor conducive to lounging. I am mourning the loss of our old wall and soaking up as much time as I can. I mean, just look at the perfectness of water and concrete.


Yesterday, I was laying on the wall looking out over the water noting how the "blue" water and blue sky touched, melting into a perfect blue world. There were even a few sailboats/catamarans slowly going by on the still waters. It was just amazingly beautiful.

Prayer is always so easy there, too. It's like the world opens, and God is right there with me. I so enjoy talking to Him in that spot, thanking Him throughout the prayer for the beauty before me.

I shall miss you so desperately, front wall. You will be greatly missed. And don't think for a second that a giant rock pile will take your place in my heart.

7 comments:

Julie said...

That IS sad! I always loved going to the wall...it was very peaceful. Rocks just won't be the same... :(

cottage girl said...

Julie, So happy that someone else feels the sadness too...poor little wall.

Anonymous said...

the wall is much more charming. sorry it's being torn down. related to your comment to my comment i'm okay at story- TELLING but NOT story WRITING. you are much better than me :) you have a much better imagination (i can only tell stories about real experiences...i guess i need to be a biographer!) you could easily write fiction. have a great day!

Anonymous said...

apey-
we should have a "wall going away party" the night before they break ground the next day....

wanna???

:)
J-lo

Val Nebbia - singer/songwriter said...

I feel the exact same way about that wall. I'm so sad to hear that it will no longer be there. We should have a party...or a funeral.

cottage girl said...

J and Val, I think that is a lovely idea. We could throw flowers off the wall into the water and sing old sad sea songs. And take LOTS of pictures.
Let's do it!

Diana said...

sorry, a little behind in reading. I'm very sad about the wall. Please take lots of pictures of it being taken down and here's a crazy request...Do you think you can save us a piece of the wall? Seriously?