January 28, 2010

Can we talk Jane Austen for a moment?

(source)

Now, I know I haven't finished my Sundance debrief, but can we switch gears and talk Jane Austen for a moment? Please?!!

I didn't fall in love with her beautiful stories until I was older. I was much more into L.M. Montgomery (my all time favorite author) and Louisa May Alcott. And truth be told, I'm still not a big "romance" genre girl. Movies, books or otherwise. I tend to steer very wide around them almost every time.
But Jane Austen...I've come to love her and become enveloped in her stories like so many 1,000's of people have over the last few hundred years. There is something about her characters that just stand the test of time.

So tonight, as I was watching the newest Emma (have you watched it?!!) with my roommate, I said to her, "I don't think I could pick a very favorite male character of hers. There are so many."






(source)

I love Mr. Knightley, Edward Ferris, Colonel Brandon and Edmund Bertram. All of them for different reasons, but I think these are my favorites. I don't think I could choose between them.

Dear sweet Edward who is so kind and generous even though he may be keeping a secret he regrets.

Adorable Edmund, who befriends lonely Franny and can't help but fall in love with her.

Colonel Brandon who is so patient with crazy, impulsive Marianne.

And Mr. Knightly who is so understanding of bratty Emma. He loves her in spite of her haughtiness.



Ok, I'll stop. Because goodness knows, Jane Austen is over done now-a-days.

But could you tell me, do you have a favorite?

Who would you choose?

And please will you all tell my sister that she is crazy for refusing to watch Pride and Prejudice? I've tried everything under the sun and I just can't bear the thought of her missing such a wonderful, addicting film! I can't turn the channel any of the 1,000 times it's on TV, for gracious sake!



ps...to answer your question, Audrey, no I haven't seen Lost in Austen. When is it on and what is it about? I have a tough time with "Austen" copy stuff. Is it like those things?

1 comment:

Audrey said...

http://ovationtv.com/programs/435-lost-in-austen

I was flipping through the channels one day and just happened onto it. Ovation channel.

Modern day girl who has memorized her books (Austen) finds a portal to the Austen world and the story pulls you in from there. Check it out and I think you will find you love it!

As for your sister...You should watch Pride and Prejudice!!!! Well made movie that I can watch over and over again!!!!