January 18, 2010

resigned

I have realized recently that I must resign myself to being "old" by several standards.

#1. My favorite radio program is on NPR. I never miss a week (by way of the podcast) of This American Life.

#2. I have no clue, seriously, no clue what music is popular at the moment. I couldn't tell you who sings any song on the top 10 charts.

#3. I'm super excited for the new PBS (PBS!!!) presentation of a the BBC's new version of Emma. Jane Austen and PBS. Hmmm....

#4. I KNIT in my spare time and am currently deciding which project to take with me on the plane.

#5. My current project list includes sewing my own clothes and making terrariums.

#6. I will be 13 years older than the average age of summer staff this summer.

#7. I'm already wondering how in the heck I'm going to stay up for an 11:30pm showing of a Sundance movie I have tickets for.

#8. I have wrinkles. Sun wrinkles around my eyes. Or smile lines. These, I actually love because they remind me of summers at camp and laughter.

#9. My blue and purple hair is gone. I felt older the instant those streaks turned brown.

#10. I'm embracing my age instead of be-moaning it.


As I was making this list, I realized something though. I'm probably happier in my 30's that I have been in any other decade. I'm comfortable with who I am. I'm still wanting to change and grow in my relationship with God. I'm challenged in new ways. I'm content in a way I have never been.
I think these realizations only come with age, experience and living of life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I love all those things too! That must mean I'm old as well.

Gina said...

"like" in memory of my FB days.

If only we could have had all these qualities when we had the energy to.... well, just energy in general I guess.

tp said...

i love this! old or not! I was actually thinking the other day how much I love "crow's feet" wrinkles or whatever. no, really, I was.
have fun this week friend! share lots of stories! miss you already...

Our Family said...

I just noticed some wrinkles around my eyes this morning. I don't think I embraced it like you though :) Oh, I'm currently knitting this:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/krtek
Love how it's turning out! Want to knit one with me? I have a couple other projects going too so you'd probably beat me, but it would be fun!

cottage girl said...

Sis,
That's in my fave's too! So pretty.
I'm getting ready to start this
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/thermis
after I finish another Bella mitten. I made another pair for me and realized when I was packing the other day that I made 2 left hands. Stupid me. Guess I know what I'll be knitting feverishly on the plane...