January 03, 2010

an epiphany and a challenge

The other night, I had an epiphany as I was getting ready to climb under the covers to go to sleep. It's like God just opened my eyes to something that had been in place for a while now. I just hadn't noticed it before. It was one of those moments that I could almost feel Him holding my hand and pointing.

As I said a few days ago, one of my favorite blogs this past year was A Place Called Simplicity. They have a family that is from many nations. One big happy family blended together by the Lord. It's a beautiful picture. It's one that instantly clicked with me.

You see, if I ever get married and have a family one day, I always picture that family as a rainbow of countries all living under one roof. Happy faces (cause in your dreams everything is happiness and light) of different colors and nations all crowded into one family photo. I don't think I've ever pictured a white, American child. Don't know why. That's just the way it is.

So as I was reading the blog of this family and bemoaning the fact that, hey, I'm 32. I'm still single. I'm getting older by the moment and parenthood is looking less and less like an option for me. It was kinda disheartening. It kinda had me depressed for a moment.

Then, I climbed up in bed and looked up at my frame that is at the front of the bed.
It is full of photos for people that I pray for. Three of those photos have a little face of a specific child on the other side of the world. A child that I support through Amazima, An Orphan's Wish and Compassion. And then it hit me. I teared up and got chills. These aren't technically "my" children and they aren't all orphans, but this was a rainbow of faces and nations all on one photo board.

It was like God was tapping me on the shoulder and then pointing to those photos and saying SEE. He guided me to these specific children from the millions that are in the world in the 100's of organizations that support children. He hand-chose these little ones to be the ones that I support and pray for and love even if it's a country away. Ok, I have chills again.

At this point in my life, a family isn't my reality. It isn't a home full of children. But I am still doing my best to care for the orphan and be an advocate for the least of these. I'm still working on this dream in the best way that I can at this point in my life. And my "family" is these little ones that crawled into my heart. God put them in my path and I'm so, so thankful that I was brave enough to step forward in small way to support them. I spent a few moments just thanking Him for answered prayers that were answered in ways I didn't expect. It was amazing!

So, my challenge to you is that you look around in the things that are happening in your life right now and SEE what God has right in front of you. How is He blessing you and growing you in ways that you might just now be noticing? Remember to be thankful for those things. Remember to glorify Him in them as well.

2 comments:

Diana said...

that was beautiful April. Thanks for sharing your heart and for the challenge.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about my AWANA kids! -mom