January 31, 2010

Displaced

I haven't been really living at my Cottage since Friday. With no heat, it is simply unbearable. I mean WITH heat it is still cold in the winter. But without it, even a small electric heater can't take the chill away. I can see my breath in my living room. That just doesn't seem proper, does it?

Thankfully (I'm trying desperately hard to be thankful and content in this situation, but I'm failing miserably), we do live at camp, which means there are many options of places with warm beds. So my roommate and I packed up and moved into the Lodge.
I actually lived in this building when I first moved here. The Cottage was still full of people, so I occupied the 7th window from the right on the second floor of the Lodge. I saw one of the most amazing meteor showers I've ever seen from that window. I could lie on my bed and see out those that big window. Oh, and this side of the building faces this....
...the water view, not the children. Although, in the summer, it does have a view of them too.

Anyway, this year, the Lodge got a geo-thermal heating and air conditioning system. That means it's toasty warm (most of the time) in the winter now. And it has air conditioning in the hot, hot summer.

When the heat in the Cottage decided to be difficult and I couldn't handle not feeling my fingers and toes anymore, my roommate and I packed up and moved out. Not very happily.

You see, I love being home. I LOVE it. I'm a home-body. I don't need a lot to be content. But take away my one refuge and I go crazy. Literally. This little annoyance has been of epic proportions in my head. I'm so frustrated that the problem can't be fixed. I'm frustrated that our house can't handle a little space heater. I'm frustrated that God just won't answer my simple prayer of fixing my heat and letting me relax at home after a stressful week of work.

It's been tough to be patient and not yell at the heater service people. It's been hard to be gracious to them and show them the love of Jesus when they are rude and VERY un-helpful. It's been hard to just be accepting of this situation.

I've realized how much I need to work on in my life. Little things like this throw me into craziness and that just can't happen. God is in control. He knows exactly what He's doing. Why do I lose it when something doesn't go my way?

Because I'm selfish. It always comes back to that doesn't it.....

No comments: