March 11, 2009

a heart of wonder


"Too much of our time is spent trying to chart God on a grid,
and too little is spent allowing our hearts to feel awe.
By reducing Christian spirituality to formula,
we deprive our hearts of wonder."

-Donald Miller Blue Like Jazz

I'm in that time where God feels very close and very...new. Does that make sense? I've known Him since I was 5. But there are those times when it feels like I rediscover Him all over again.

His touch.
His voice.
His whispers.
His joy.
His sorrow.
His desires.
His heart.
His face.
His work.
His passions.

I see these things all around me. I see Him working where, before, I would have ignored it or walked on by. I see Him in the faces of little orphans. I hear Him whisper "trust Me" as our numbers for camp seem to dwindle instead of increase. I feel His arms of love wrapped around me as I sing of His might and power to do the unimaginable.

He is so very patient with me as I crawl back into His arms and look into His face. He is so beautiful as He smiles at me and says I LOVE YOU, my child.

The wonder.

The wonder of being loved by this God who made me.

1 comment:

Allison Drew said...

Oh I very much agree. Also, I know it sounds cheesy... but I really believe reading Blue Like Jazz changed my life.