April 16, 2009


This photo popped up on my screen saver today. I stared at it for a while for several reasons...

  1. It's in Alaska. Alaska is the new home of one of my very favorite people on the planet.
  2. I'm holding a Luke. Not my nephew Luke, but another adorable heart stealer with the same name. He's much bigger now, by the way.
  3. I was visiting one of my dearest friends at the time of this photo. She's also going to be separated from someone she loves dearly for the next few months as well.
  4. Alaska is really just so very beautiful. The mountains. Oh, the beautiful mountains.
I realized something yesterday. One of those God moments. Or "duh, God is working and I just noticed" moments.

I've been super sad about The Bro leaving. I'm kinda attached to my brother. My sister, who I also love dearly, moved away a couple years ago (taking with her my nephew and niece). Her leaving wasn't quite so tough because she lives much closer than Alaska and I get to see her at least once every 2 or 3 months. Not ideal (ideal being right next door with the possibility of window shade signals {like Anne Shirley} from house to house), but manageable. It's just hard not having either of them nearby.

Anyway....
I was just so sad when he left, knowing that I won't get to see him for at least 6 months. No Sunday church with lunches. No Gossip Girl nights. No hugs or yells or "come on over" phone calls. Sad, you know?
Then I realized....I have several friends for which I have been praying. Praying because someone they love is leaving, or has left, for at least 6 months or more. God has me in a similar situation as them. It's something that I can identify with and pray ever more earnestly and specifically about. What a joy to be with (even if only through email or phones calls) someone who understands! I'm so thankful that this situation in my own little life can be shared with friends. And now, more than ever, I will be praying for them.

Hear that girls...*you know who you are*. I'm praying for YOU. And I'm ready for the sad emails and phone calls. I'm right there with you.

It's amazing to realized how God's love is so much bigger than I realize. His arms of love are surrounding all of us. Sometime we get to be those arms in human form. What a privilege.

ps...I'm not sad and mopey. I'm truly ecstatic about my brother having this awesome adventure. He totally deserves. I just miss him. Just like a girl, as he would say....

1 comment:

stephanie said...

what a NICE surprise when i opened up my favorite blog today!!!!! :) what a great picture that was! luke is doing a new thing lately where he seems to have forgotten how to smile for a picture! i have lots of very strained faces captured in photos now! so it was nice to see a genuine, unforced smile from him and you too! i am praying and thinking about you! and i'm glad that i can pray for you with a situation i can relate to! all these years you've prayed faithfully for me i'm glad i can return the favor!