December 07, 2007

Christmas traditions - movies

The must watch list for the holidays. It just doesn't feel like Christmas if I don't see these at least once during the season.

#1. Holiday Inn is my all time favorite, although it was hard to choose. There is something about the mixture of Bing and Fred that makes it all the more magical. So many classic moments like Bing singing "White Christmas" (this was before the movie White Christmas), the songs and performances for each holiday, Fred Astaire's firecracker dance, and I LOVE the scene when Linda is shooting the movie at the end and comes in the "house" which is really the set for the movie and finds a surprise waiting for her. If you have never seen this one, I HIGHLY recommend it. I've loved it since the first time I saw it at 14.

2. It's a Wonderful Life. Jimmy Stewart (so dreamy...) and Donna Reed. Need I say more? There is a reason this one is a classic during Christmas or any other time.
3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
. Cause I laugh out loud every time I see him fall as he is watching the old home movies and Ellen opens the attic door. This is a MUST watch each year. More than once if possible


3. A Christmas Story. Yes, it's a tie for 3rd cause I can't choose between the two. I love every minute of this one. And I will watch it multiple times on it's annual 24 hours of A Christmas Story marathon on TBS. Plus, it's hardly known sequel is one of my top movies of all time. (If anyone knows where I can get this on VHS or DVD, let me know! I've been searching for years!)

4. Elf. It made me believe that Christmas classics can still be made today. By far, Will Ferrell's best.

5. Miracle on 34th Street (1994 edition). I cry every time Santa signs to the little deaf girl. It's such a sweet adorable movie. I'm dying to see it the moment I watch the Macy's day parade each year.

6. Home Alone. I remember begging my parents to take us to see this. So many fun moments. And the John Williams musical score is perfection.

7. The Santa Clause. I love movies about Santa and the North Pole. Stupid cheesy, sappy holiday fun.
8. One Magic Christmas. One from my childhood. I haven't seen it in years, but I watched it every year at Christmas on the Disney Channel when I was growing up.



9. Christmas inn Connecticut. Saw this last year for the first time. So sweet. There is just something about old Christmas movies that make me happy inside. The story is cute.


10. Little Women. Technically, it's not a Christmas movie, but I always want to watch it around Christmas time (plus it was released at Christmas in '94). My favorite movie. No matter how many times I watch it (and it's been at least 100) I still cry when Beth dies. I still cringe when Jo rejects Laurie. I still laugh when Jo dances with Laurie. I love this cast. I love this story. My copy of this book is so tattered from it's bazillion re-reads. Yup, it's a must at Christmas time.
There it is. My little list of Holiday fun. Now, I'm sure that you want to argue about it, don't you? I'm sure I left off one that you love, didn't I?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you ebay??? They have the movie your looking for!

Amy

cottage girl said...

Thanks, Amy. I have seen it there, I just don't know if I'm willing to pay $50 for a VHS. We have an old taped version of it from when we were growing up, but it's in sad shape. I'll definitely keep an eye out there.
You're so sweet to look for me!

Niina said...

Thank you for your holiday tips...

Allison Drew said...

After seeing this list it became so clear to me why we're blog friends.
- I'm so glad one magic Christmas is on your list. I love this movie.
- Little Women is on my list even though it isn't a Christmas movie too.
- I need to see Holiday Inn.