October 27, 2009

Is it possible to be homesick for a place you don't actually live?

When I went to Seattle, I not only got to see The Bro, go to Alki and climb mountains, I also got to spend a week with one of my dearest friends in the world.

We met in college. We were roommates for 2 years. She was one-third of the Igloe threesome. (Our apartment with our other friend (my other roommate of all four college years). She was one of those girls that I just clicked with. We could share our thoughts and our hearts openly and honestly. I adore her and cried buckets when graduation parted us. She headed back to Seattle and got married just a few months later.

I missed her desperately. Over the years, I've been fortunate to go and visit and just BE with her many times. She's one of those friends with whom I can not talk for months and then instantly pick up like no time has passed at all. We don't have to fill quiet moments, but can just be quiet and comfortable in each other's presence.

Now she has 4, yes 4(!!) kids. It was an absolute joy to spend a week with her and her family. I love her kids to pieces and think her hubby is so fantastic. The days flew by and when I had to get back on the plane to come home, it was heart wrenching. Tears, hugs, more tears.

I so miss the days that we shared a room and would talk late into the night. I know we'll see each other again, but it would be so nice if she could just live right across the field. Then I could run over and we could have dinner together. I could snuggle with the kids and laugh with them. I was once again reminded how incredibly precious her friendship is to me. And how just being with her feels like home.

No comments: