October 25, 2009

Tell it like it is

I wanted to post a link to the message I heard when I was at Mars Hill in Seattle a few weeks ago. Such an amazing message. It's tough love. Mark doesn't candy coat the topic.



You can listen to it here or download the podcast on Zune Marketplace or itunes for free and listen when you are cleaning (my favorite time to listen to podcasts!).



I want to go back and listen to all of this series. It's really fantastic. I like speakers who don't shy away from the tough stuff. I want to be challenged not patted on the head and told that I'm doing the best that I can.

This morning my pastor was saying that if you are exactly where you were last year in your relationship with Christ then something is wrong. Yikes! Now that's a great reminder. Being complacent and content can be so dangerous sometimes. It's a constant struggle for me to not get too comfortable.

Anyway, enjoy. Hope you learn something like I did.


On another topic...
I read these verses today and all I could think about was the clothes I bought yesterday.

"He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.
And He said to them, 'Take nothing for the journey, neither staffs nor bag nor bread nor money, and do not have two tunics a piece."


Hmmm...somehow, I don't think Jesus would accept my excuse of "but I can't wear the same thing to church twice in one month." I'm telling you....God has really been working on me this year with things/possessions and giving more to what really matters. It's humbling. It's TOUGH. It requires sacrifice. And somehow I just don't feel right buying stuff I don't really need when there are kids in Uganda that don't have clothes without holes or food to eat or a bed to sleep in.

Why do I continually talk myself into thinking "I deserve this. It's MY money to spend." Maybe my money is the money that He needs to support an orphan for a year in China. Maybe the money that is needed for food for the Karamojongs is the money in my bank account. If I truly believe that it's all His, it will affect what I do with everything I have whether it be money or things or time.

I think I may be making a trip to the return counter at Target this week....

What may God be asking you to give? Is there a ministry that He has been laying on your heart lately that you "keep meaning to do something for?" Is He trying to whisper to your heart about the "things" in your life? Is He asking you to step out in faith and join Him on the journey of sacrifice? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: