October 29, 2009

TV time

Because so many of my favorite shows (like Battlestar Galactica and Scrubs (kinda)) said goodbye last year, I had a few openings in my TV viewing schedule this year. I'll be honest...I'm terrible at adding new ones. I like the old. I dislike change in any form. I hate saying goodbye. Plus, I hate getting invested in a show and then having it ripped from me at a moments notice.

So, I tend to be very choosy with my TV viewing. I like to wait a few weeks to see if something will last, and then watch a bunch of episodes at once to see if it's worth my time (or wait until the entire show goes off the air and I don't have to fear cancellation: see Arrested Development, The OC). Mostly, I wait for my brother to watch something and then order me to watch it, too. He's got great taste in TV. He hooked me on Gossip Girl, Friday Night Lights and 24 to name a few.

Here are a few that have made it through my ridiculous criteria of television viewing. Some of these have great potential to be favorites for years to come...

#1 Glee

I know I've already talked about this show, but dear goodness, I just love it. I think every show should have singing and dancing. Buffy did. Scrubs did.
It makes me laugh. I get chills. I just enjoy how random and different it is. It's a keeper. Oh, and this is one that broke my own rule for and I watched from episode #1 (last May). I knew that it would be a hit. Just that good. One of the best pilots I've seen since Lost.


#2 Modern Family

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a big, huge sitcom person. I usually go for a good drama over a sitcom. If I do watch a comedy, it's very rarely the kind with a studio audience annoyingly laughing in the background. Friends is a big exception. And I Love Lucy. I like comedy in the Scrubs/30 Rock style.

Anyway, this was a case of great advertising. I saw a commercial for this show and thought "hey, I would give this a try." Thankfully, it was actually FUNNIER than the commercials. In fact, I would venture to say that it's one of the funniest shows on TV behind 30 Rock (sorry, The Office. Sad, but true. You aren't really funny any more.). I caught up on the 5 episodes that have aired this week on Hulu. I highly recommend it, especially if you love and miss Arrested Development. It has so many laughable moments in normal life situations. It's hard to pick a favorite character because there are so many great ones.


#3 Grey's Anatomy

I will admit that I let Grey's Anatomy back on my schedule. Or at least my "I'll watch it online after it has aired" schedule. But it's on probation. I'm willing to drop it at a moment's notice if it decides to go back to the ridiculousness that it was. I will also say that I stopped watching it at the end of season 2 and started again at the end of season 5 and don't feel like I missed much. It's entertaining at the moment. I'm enjoying it.

#4 The Rachel Zoe Project


This one is already over for the season, but I really enjoyed it. I missed the last 3 episdoes (and am hoping to catch them on a Bravo marathon). It's interesting, silly and mindless. Everyone needs a little of that in their lives at one time or another. I can't believe that I actually like a reality TV show!


What about you? Find anything fun lately?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like all the characters on Glee are the same age...even the teachers. Could I be right?

Rachel said...

Hey, I found your blog through Allison, and I'm happy I did. It's really great!

Anyway, I loved Glee until I chanced upon an episode of Modern Family on Hulu. Now I know what I'll be watching on Wednesdays at 9. Also, Parks & Recreation on NBC is probably going to beat out The Office for my favorite in a few episodes. Oh, and Community is pretty good too.


Yeah, I watch way too much TV. :)