October 16, 2008

reading is fun

I read The Host by Stephanie Meyer when it came out in May this year. And lately, I've been thinking about it a lot. Guess it's time to go back and re-read.

On a side note....
Does anyone else re-read books? I thought every one did until I talked with several friends who said that "nope" they don't ever re-read a book. WHAT?!! That's, like, my favorite part of reading! I've read Little Women and the Anne of Green Gables series so much my books are tattered and torn. Sometimes I love a book MORE the more times I read it. Like Harry Potter or Jane of Lantern Hill (which apparently isn't available on Amazon, which is a travesty because this is one of my favorite books of all time).

Anyway....it's a great book. I can't remember if I ever recommended it here, so I shall do so again. It's about aliens that have taken over Earth. No, not robots. Robots are Battlestar Galactica. These are aliens. These aliens use the human bodies as hosts. They are little wormy creatures that attach themselves to the brain and spinal cord of a human being and take over who they are. Humans are basically extinct except for a very few who rebel against the aliens and try to win back Earth.
Sounds weird, right? Well the story takes a weird turn when one of the hosts decides that she doesn't want to go away quietly and pushes her thoughts into the aliens thoughts. Craziness insues and people learn a lot about each other.
It's a good read. Even if you don't like sci fi, I think you would enjoy the story. It's a little slow in the beginning, but picks up. I like the whole idea of it and the questions it raises.

There you go. Who doesn't love a good book recommendation?!


ps....don't forget to post your thoughts on this post. time is almost up!

No comments: