May 15, 2010

personal sob story

(source and this photo reminds me of Grey Gardens)

Okay, so last night, we were having a terrible thunderstorm, so I unplugged my computer and posted via my phone. Well, also, I went to bed before 9pm last night. Early? Um, I haven't been to bed that early since 3rd grade.

Here's the situation with my life lately. May is insanity. Literally. My brain has been shutting down. I'm staring into space all the time. I've had 2 days off since May 1st. I've been working 12 hour days since Thursday. And I've been running around like a crazy person trying to get everything done.

And here's the fun part....I haven't hit the "busy" season yet. Now, I will admit that May looks like this pretty much every year around here. We are in a full out sprint to get things ready for camp/staff training. Not only that but we are hosting school groups during the week. Weekend groups on the weekends. Volunteer groups doing work projects (and working with them) all over the property. Plus, trying to get our buildings, grounds, waterfront, low elements, etc ready for camp to start. It's a sprint to the finish I tell you.

Basically all this means that we are working ALL the time. However, it only gets worse once camp starts. Then we work 7 days a week and 10-12 hours a day. It's even crazier.

Now don't get me wrong. I love it here. I love the craziness. I love all the prep work. I love it! But it is SO HARD to deny myself "time." I like my free time. I like to art journal and sit down at my computer every once in a while. Yesterday, I had time to take a shower and eat dinner. That was my "free" time.

I was "tired" on Monday and it's really only gone downhill since then. Tired....ha! Tired was so 3 days ago. But you know what? Each day, I found a few moments (sometimes only 10 minutes) to open the Word and find exactly what I needed for the day. I honestly 100% believe that the only reason I haven't dropped from exhaustion or yelled at 15 people is that Jesus has become my strength, my energy, my everything to survive. I rely on Him to walk around when my feet are just HURTING from standing all day. I rely on Him to help me balay a kid on the wall when I can barely keep my eyes open. I rely on Him to help me have a pleasant voice/attitude when I answer the phone for the 85th time in the last 15 minutes.

He hasn't failed me yet, which is awesome because that's exactly who I will be depending on in the next few weeks when things really get crazy!

"...He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry.
As soon as he hears it, he answers you...." -Isaiah 30:19b

Off to give 25 kids some s'more ingredients and then GO TO SLEEP!!

No comments: