May 23, 2008

comfort from his own words

{This post may be more for me than for all of you who usually read. But I wanted to remember this. I wanted to remember how God used this music during this tragedy.}


As I went through the day yesterday, praying for the Chapman's and just thinking about them, I was amazed at how many times Steven's songs were the ones that said exactly what I needed. As my eyes would fill with tears and my heart would just hurt and I would wonder why, these words that came to my mind. (my thoughts are in italics)

I don't know what to say.

"I will not pretend to feel the pain you're going through/I know I cannot comprehend the hurt you've known/....But we now we're at the mercy of God's higher ways/And our ways are so small/But I will carry you to Jesus/He is everything you need/I will carry you to Jesus on my knees"
-"Carry You to Jesus" from Declaration


It doesn't make sense. She was so young, so loved.

This is not at all how/We thought is was supposed to be /We had so many plans for you/We had so many dreams /And now you've gone away /And left us with the memories of your smile/And nothing we can say /And nothing we can do/Can take away the pain/The pain of loosing you, but
....We can cry with hope/we can say goodbye with hope/'cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh, no/And we can grieve with home/'cause we believe with hope/(there's a place by God's grace)/There's a place where we'll see your face again
-"With Hope" from Speechless


Why would God do something to such an amazing family?

"...I know I've got an enemy waiting/who wants to bring me pain/but what he never seems to remember/what he means for evil God works for good/So I will not retreat or surrender/now, I don't want to sound like some hero/'cause it's God alone that my hope is in/but I'm not gonna run from the very things that would drive me closer to Him/so bring it on..../let the trouble come, let it make me fall on the One who's strong..../let me be made weak so I'll know the strength of the one who's strong/bring it on"
-"Bring It On" from Declaration

"God is God and I am not/I can only see a part of the picture He's painting/God is God and I am man/So I'll never understand it all/ For only God is God"
-"God is God" from Declaration


God, are you there? Do you hear our cries of sadness?

"So believe Me now/Believe it's true/I never have, I never will abandon you/And the God that I have always been/I will forever be/So believe me now//I am the God Who never wastes a single hurt/that you endure/My words are true/And all my promises are sure/so believe me now/Oh, believe me now"
-"Believe Me Now" from All Things New


There are about 15 more that I can write out. The most appropriate would, of course, be Cinderella, which he actually wrote for Maria (and Stevey Joy). Just listening to it now, it takes on a whole new meaning.
It's crazy that the music he wrote is what usually comforts me when I'm lost and upset and at the bottom of everything. I pray that the Chapman's will continue to hold tight to what God has taught them. That they will trust in the God they knew before this happened because He still is that same God standing with them here today.
I am continually humbled by a God who's plans seem so unbelievable to me. I am in awe of His power and His knowledge of what we can handle. I tremble at His mercy, grace and love to us in times like these.
My favorite song of his is the one that means the most. He is God. He is holy. He is all I need. I just have to be still and remember that.

No comments: