August 09, 2010

Faces: Gentleness


This is the face of gentleness.

Oh, I could write an entire book about this dear one. She is a true kindred spirit. We spent hours this summer talking about orphans and China. This was her third summer here, but I think we really connected on a deeper level for the first time this year. It was really hard (read: tears) to say goodbye this time.

She has, for the last two years, had the challenging job of being a counselor for our youngest kids in our day camp program. 4-5 years old. These little ones are so precious, yet need so much more love and one on one attention than any of our other kids. They can be needy. They can whine and cry at the drop of a hat.

But I never ever saw this dear girl loose her temper or get frustrated in front of the kids. She was such a beautiful example of gentleness. She held in her arms crying, screaming little ones. She helped put on swim suits and clothes about 20 times a day without complaining. She laughed and had fun with the kids and made them feel special and loved and important in the eyes of the God who loves them.

I was also blessed to have some great conversations with her about life and what she wanted to do when she finished college. I found out that she sponsored a little girl through An Orphans Wish, the organization I sponsor and volunteer for. We read many of the same blogs and are connected to many of the same organizations in one way or another. We talked about traveling to China together and visiting orphanages and holding little babies. And even though we had to say goodbye at camp, I don't think our story together is over just yet.

I'm so thankful for the reminder of God's gentleness and grace every time I looked at this dear face. I miss her terribly, yet am so excited to see where God leads her next as she runs after Him.

No comments: