August 20, 2010

Smoothie update


3 months.

I know. I can't believe it either.

I took the smoothie challenge and haven't been able to stop.

90 days.

Now, I will admit that it's not every single of those 90 days. I usually don't drink one on Sundays as I'm dashing out to church. And I may have missed one or two days in the midst of camp, but that's about it.

And can I say....it has been life changing for me. I did not get sick one time during camp. That may seem like no big deal to you, but we had plagues sweeping though our staff all summer (including my own roommate). Pink eye, sinus infections, fevers, colds, more fevers, coughs. You name it. I didn't get anything! I think my fruits and veggies and Chia seeds had something to do with that.

Not to mention that I had more energy than I have ever had in a summer. I was tired. That's pretty much in-escapable, but I wasn't exhausted beyond belief, like I usually am.

I think it also helped me stayed hydrated on those long stretches of 100+ degree days. And I didn't feel like I was ravenous for veggies or fruits like I usually am at the end of a summer eating camp food.

I have noticed that if I eat a small amount of starch (biscuit, dry cereal, bagel) with my smoothie, it helps my body. I also freeze the spinach now, which makes it taste a little sweeter.

I'm so addicted to smoothies that I have taken my fruit, spinach and Chia with me on vaca. I couldn't fathom a week without it!

You should try it. Even for 7 days. I bet you would notice a difference. I know I have found something that works wonders for me!

2 comments:

Filia Dei said...

Where did you get the idea to go on smoothies? And where do you get the recipes?

cottage girl said...

I got the idea here:

http://happyfoody.com/2009/08/10/happy-foody-green-smoothie-challange-2009/

I don't really have a recipe. I just buy a bunch of frozen fruit and mix it together until I like the way it tastes. I do add a bit of agave for sweetness. I only use water, fruit, Chia seeds and agave. It's ridiculously easy!