December 05, 2010

Let Go


Reverb10 + Let Go.
What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why? (Author: Alice Bradley)

Maybe because I'm getting older. Or maybe because I'm finally more comfortable in my own skin. About time at 33 years old. Anyway, one thing that I noticed this year is that I'm getting better at being so self-conscious about myself. I was highly insecure as a teenager and into my early 20's. I was shy, scared and timid. Constantly afraid of doing something stupid or wearing the wrong thing or saying something that would make others laugh at me or think I was strange.

This year, I've noticed that I'm more secure in who I am. I wear what I like and don't fret over it as much. I say stupid things. I dance. I sing. I make things and give them as gifts and don't worry if the receiver doesn't love them as much as I hope they do. I stop being so afraid to simply try. I tell people who I am and what I do without being terrified that they will think I'm small and insignificant.

I know that much of this comes from finding my security more deeply in Christ. When He is everything to me, "I" don't really matter as much. I can be me and be the best me that He asks me to be. That such a freeing feeling. I don't have to care so deeply what other think.

And I think it also comes from being surrounded by an amazing group of friends, both near and far, that love me and accept me for who I am. They challenge me to be the best version of myself that I can be. To use my one life to glorify my Maker. To live my life in a way that pleases Him.

So, in 2010, I bid a fond farewell to feeling insecure and shy. I happily pick up my Battlestar Galactica DVD's in my right hand and my felted crafts in the other and skip off into the next stage in life.

Amen.

No comments: