December 04, 2010

Wonder



Reverb 10 + Wonder
How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? (Author: Jeffrey Davis)


I feel like I rediscover a sense of wonder each and every camp summer. Working with kids, it is almost impossible not to do so. Well, I guess, maybe, if you don't listen to them.

I happen to love the listening part. I love seeing their eyes light up when they realize that someone thinks what they have to say is important. I love listening to them talk just to figure life out. I love hearing them ask questions about God and creation and life.

They have so much they want to learn. They are in awe of so many things that I take for granted. Each little minnow in the river is a new creation that is just discovered. Each crab egg buried in the sand is a treasure trove of wonders. Each horseshoe crab is a creature of the deep that no one has ever seen before.

What a blessing to be reminded of that each summer. Camp is a wonderful place for kids to get away from the distractions of today's culture and just be filled with wonder with what is around them. And thankfully, they generously share that with those of us that work here too.

No comments: