March 11, 2008

movie time

It was a movie weekend this past weekend amidst all of the power outages and water shortages.

Thankfully, my movie house (aka the bro's living room) maintained electricity and heat throughout the duration of the savage wind storm.

This allowed for the viewing of a movie at various times with friends piled on the couch throughout our breaks from serving meals to 130 people with no electricity or water.

Did I mention we are magicians? Cue "The Final Countdown."

Back to the movies....

There were 3 and I must say all three were just fantastic. Not only that but they were about as different as they could all be. A $100,000 indie, a BIG budget blockbuster with extreme special effects and a documentary filled with nerds.

First was one that I have been wanting to see for a long time. Once. I mentioned it a couple weeks ago after it's stars won the Oscar for best song.

I must say it was as good as everyone said that it was. I didn't disappoint. A sweet story, lovely music and that charming indie feel. The characters were fantastic and lovable. And the ending was perfection. 3 out of 4 stars.
***note: rated "R" for language. They like to say "f" this and "f" that a lot.


Next up was a completely different movie. Different as night and day really. It had an enormous budget with crazy special effects. It is was bloody and harsh. But the story is so enthralling, not to mention based on truth. It was the blockbuster 300.

I love the feel of this movie. The grit and darkness with the red contrast in their uniforms. I saw it in the theater but enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first. 3 out of 4 stars.
***rated "R" for VERY good reasons. It's violent and there are a couple scenes that you want to fast forward thru. NOT for kids. Take the "R" rating seriously, folks.


The last one was another movie that I have been wanting to see for quite some time. I had heard about it from my TV boyfriend back in September. It's called King of Kong. A documentary of spectacular proportions.


It is, no lie, a documentary on the 2 men that are vying for the title of best Donkey Kong player in the world. And yes, it is as crazy and silly as it sounds. But it also has enormous heart. The "bad guy" is so suave and just dripping with evil. The kind of evil you see in every day life. And the "good guy" is so normal and easy to love. I HIGHLY recommend this movie. And I promise a lot of laughs about video game nerds and the world they live in. 3 1/2 stars out of 4.
***PG-13.

Just my humble opinion on some fun flicks. Anyone else see anything good lately? I've got nothing to watch with TV still in hibernation till April 4th. Plus, there isn't anything good on lately anyway. I still haven't seen that last 2 weeks of Lost and don't really care about it. The Battlestar premiere can't come fast enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually "300" was made for a measly $60 million. I know that is still a lot compared to Once, but that is still nothing compared most of the other big blockbusters as of late. It went on to make $456 million when it was all said and done. I would call it a success.